Note | SHEPHERD’S CREEK – SS 2447
Writing on behalf of local families petitioning for a school in 1880, Jas Turner claimed there was a private Catholic school about a mile distant, but it was frequently closed. A.T Chisholm offered land at this time at Escort Creek, and a building with attached quarters was moved to the site. The school was ready by February 1882. In August of that year the head teacher (presumably John Henry Potts due to the time) reported that the Catholic priest had ordered parents to stop sending their children to the school, and attendance had dropped to three. In November, head teacher Miss Hosking was ordered to close the school and the building was to be removed to Langwornor. The school officially closed at the end of 1883, but re-opened in 1889 in a room 22 feet by 14 feet. The head teacher in 1900, Ethel Gayland, complained that it was too small for the attendance of thirty-four, but Shepherd’s Creek remained open until 1913.
|